"A Mr. Clark donated the land and the community people built it for all, as there was no denomination," as written in Sedan Community Country Cookbook (1989). Jene (Pergande) Hendrickson noted "the church cornerstone says it was laid May 9, 1898. It is frame and Josh Woosley sawed and gave the lumber." According to "Tracks Volume I" Mark Cowan dug up a Bible in the 1960s which was buried in the foundation of the church. The Bible is on display in a tin box in a Livingston museum.
The Community Cookbook History section reads "The contents in the stone are in the Livingston Museum, stating the board and builders and the superintendent and who was the circuit pastor. Mr. Clark deeded the the church to the Methodists, which caused some hard feelings and they could not get pastors here very often. Some believe the that the church was active for about 10 years. However, in the charge of a Rev. T.H. Roddey, it was reopened and used, when the weather and roads permitted. It was in the depression years, 1932-1933, and he wrote in the Wilsall church book that it was a very difficult year.
No date is known as to when, but the Methodist Conference had wanted to move the old building down to Wilsall to combine with the one there. But an old timer said his family had all gone to it and it should stay here. It did and has had no care for many, many years, so is slowly returning to dust."
Seitz (1962), in a paper she wrote for Dr. Burlingame's class, "Montana History 302," offered this perspective:
"The first few years when few homesteaders were living in the community, everyone worshiped God in his own home. Later people took turns taking charge of the worship services. They were short (services), usually there was only one reading from the Bible and some prayers and a song or two. The church services were held in peoples' homes on every other Sunday.
About 1910 a church was constructed on the present Inabnit ranch (which is now owned by Tim and Anita Petterson as of May 2000). (A) Methodist minister came up from Wilsall twice a month to hold church services. This church was a one room log building, the only seats were just raised planks with no backs.
This building still stands to day (and in 2000). It has been used as a grainery and cattle shelter. To look at it now you would never supposed this was once a church. Most of the people in the community were protestants." There is no steeple or bell tower on the church and no windows are left in the frames.
An additional account of when the church was established comes from "Gallatin County's Heritage: A Report of Progress 1805-1976," and reads: "A log cabin was erected in 1916 which became a Methodist Church for intermittent services, and a type of community center."
Tim and Anita Petterson bought the Sedan Methodist Church and land in 1964. Scott and Susan Lohmuller bought the land from Pettersons.
Click Here to Return the Home Page: A History of Sedan